Draperies and Curtains
So you want to learn how to make draperies? Well there are many different opinions about fabricating or sewing draperies and curtains. There are a lot of factors that you need to consider before starting this new project. Watch the Videos below on how to use Drapery Header Tapes.
Drapery Header Styles – How to Sew Drapery Tapes
- Cartridge Pleat Drapery Tape
- Triple Pinch Pleat Drapery Tape
- How to Use Serpentine Drapery Tape
- Grommet Drapery Tape
- Goblet Drapery Tape
- Clip N Wave Drapery Tape
- Translucent Mini Pleat Drapery Tape
- How to Use Translucent and Iron On Drapery Buckram
- Sew a Basic Drapery Panel
Fabrics & Linings
Utility Cost & Light Factors
Your window treatments can be a major expense when decorating your home. The average price for quality home decor fabric is $20 -$75 a yard but you can find Great deals from Fabric.com! Click here
When you are on a budget you can find great resources for less expensive fabrics, but there are things to consider like the fabric is not woven on the straight of the grain ( will hang lopsided), flaws, repeats that don’t match, color printing is off and more. It’s best to watch the sales person roll the fabric out or Do Not Cut until you have check for irregulars flaws in the fabric so you can return it.
OK, no more warnings! Lets get to the basics, how to sew draperies and curtains and how to measure for fabric need for making a drapery panel.
- When buying fabric you should figure your finish length + 18 inches and this will give you a little leeway. Finished length is 100″ +18″=118″
- For the width, most draperies are 2.5 times fullness: Window is 100″ wide x 2.5 = 250 inches and then you divide it by the width of your fabric which is normally 54″ = 4.6 widths of fabric ( just round up to 5 widths)
- Length 118″ x 5 widths = 590″ divided by 36″ (1 yard) =16.3/8 or 17 yards.
- Always consider the pattern repeat, fabric and style.
New Workroom Book for Custom Home Decor and Draperies
We are so excited to announce the publication of this definitive book. The Custom Soft Treatments Handbook of Common Practices gives design and fabrication professionals who want to be proficient in the specialized art of window fashions the essentials they need to address most challenges and solutions.
The 360+ page manual containing over 1500 illustrations is the most comprehensive book detailing common practices of fabrication of custom window coverings and soft furnishings. Chapters include how to sew draperies and curtains, valances, swags and cascades, cornices, sunbursts and shades to name a few.
Each chapter covers topics like: anatomy of the treatment, measuring guidelines, installation, recommended fabrics, special considerations and applications. It is a MUST HAVE for the new generation of artisans in the soft window covering industry.
Here’s what people are saying about it:
“I received my book this AM and have just flipped through it briefly – this is GREAT – how useful this could be for us to share w/our decorators. This info is just one example of why we are experts and should be consulted.” – Judy Soccio
If you want to learn how to sew draperies and curtains for a career this book if perfect for the beginner to advanced designer or workroom.